Saturday, June 2, 2007

Totally improper post...

So I haven't even introduced myself properly yet, I haven't posted since I created this blog a week ago, and here I am having a bit of a spew....

Here goes... (hold on)

Have you ever gotten one of THOSE phone calls? The ones that you absolutely dread because they are the type that changes someones life, whether it be yours, a family member, or a friend. Well, I got one of THOSE phone calls a bit eariler.

I don't even know what it is yet. I really don't. I just know that a close friend phoned me up, asked me if I was working (which I suppose technically I should be at this very moment), and then asked if I could do her a favor - "Could you get me drunk?"

Whoa. Hold on a sec...

Then I made the cardinal mistake. I said those words you aren't supposed to ask when you already know the answer - "Is everything OK?"

I knew it was a mistake before the words even finished crossing my lips. As her voice started to crack with tears on the other line, it dawned on me that I was most definitely getting drunk this evening.

Now, I'm not sure that the gravity of this situation is being properly perceived, so let me just mention the following little notes.


  • I don't recreational drink often. I can take or leave the stuff just fine.

  • I do occasionally have a drunk with friends for a bit of fun. Prerequisite for said fun is the guarantee that I have a couch to sleep on when the fun is over. Terribly responsible, I am.

  • I have a variety of friends. This particular friend is one of those tough-as-nails, didn't cry at the end of Schindler's List but was ready to discuss it, moderate outlook on life, sort of friend. She's not given to hysterics.

With that said. I do so hope that I am over-reacting. I hope those were allergy sniffles I heard over the phone. (Yeah, right. Allergies.)


I'm really going to regret this tomorrow morning, but at the same time, what are friends for?

Update: Yeah. It really was THAT bad. I'm not sure how much good I did for her. I think she was all cried out by the time she made it to my house. I just let her tell me what she needed to and this time I knew enough to avoid the questions. Ever feel helpless?

6 comments:

Epimenides said...

Hey there Holy! Hope ure not feeling too hung over to read this! ;)
Thanks for your encouraging words for my upcomming attampt to quit smoking, which I'll start on July 1st.
Best of luck with your blog, and do stay in touch.

Maya said...

Holly: Yes, I also have gotten one of those calls.... actually I've gotten many, and each time it was incredibly draining - emotionally. It's hard to see someone you care about hurting, and sometimes you have to indulge in the sause to temporarily cover the pain. Sounds like you're a good friend!

Hope you're feeling better, hangovers basically.... suck!

Choc Mint Girl said...

Hi, Holly! Yes, I ever have gotten one of THOSE phone calls...I was still sober after that, but the feeling was hard to describe. I like what you've written here and hope you will take a look at mine at http://chocmintgirl.blogspot.com

Thanks and all the best!!!

Anonymous said...

Holly, I just want to let you know that the stress of wondering what on Earth could possibly have been that bad has left me in a place where only alcohol will help. Could you get me drunk too? :)

Sam said...

Hello Holly!

Thanks for stopping by my few bits on the net. :)

Arlene said...

All the time...it's part of being a parent...
As for being a friend though, you did the right thing :-)

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
- Douglas Adams -
English humorist & science fiction novelist (1952 - 2001)